Kersemjen Jewish Cemetery 2
The Jewish cemetery is located on the bank of the Szamos river, behind the municipal cemetery.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The cemetery is situated on the bank of the river, it is overgrown with bushes. The area appears to be swampy.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Preserved construction on site
There appears to have been two Jewish cemeteries in Kérsemjén. This cemetery was in use as early as 1891, since it is marked on the cadastral map of that year. The cemetery was demolished at an unknown time.
The small settlement of Kérsemjén had 23 Jewish inhabitants in 1840. Forty years later, in 1880, the total population was 417, among whom 32 were Jews. The Jewish community reached its peak in 1910, when 42 Jews lived in the village. By 1920, the Jewish population had nearly halved and by 1930, there were only 20 Jewish residents in Kérsemjén. In 1941, among the village’s total population of 457, 17 were Jewish.