Kekcse Municipal Cemetery – Jewish Section
Municipal cemetery. Dózsa György Street.
170 meters. larger current perimeter than on cadastral record.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Wire mesh, 1.5 meters in height.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is inside the municipal cemetery but is separately fenced. It is well maintained though the gravestones are mostly fragments and heavily damaged.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
The Jewish cemetery of Kékcse was in use as early as 1870, since it is marked on the cadastral map of that year. Since then, the cemetery’s territory grew significantly. The latest of the tombstones found in the cemetery date to 1913, though it can be assumed that the cemetery was still active until World War II.
There were 4 Jewish inhabitants in Kékcse in 1836, 16 in 1848, 42 in 1870, 49 in 1880, 48 in 1890, 23 in 1900, 24 in 1910, 27 in 1920, and 19 in 1930. By 1941, the total population of the town was 1,566, which included 20 hereditary Jews and 3 Jewish converts.