Kasperivtsi Jewish Cemetery
To reach the cemetery, proceed on Hordolyna Street in the eastern direction. Turn right to the dirt road opposite to the monument of Ukrainian freedom fighters. Proceed for about 200 metres. The cemetery is located in the fields on the right of the road.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is severely overgrown. It requires clearing and fencing. The perimeter of the site is delineated by a ditch.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
1894 (oldest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
1935 (latest found by ESJF expedition)
Urgency of erecting a fence
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It was not marked on old maps, but according to the dates on the preserved gravestones it can be assumed that the cemetery already existed in the late 19th century.
The Jews of Kasperivtsi are known from the 17th century. The Jewish community of Kasperivtsi suffered during the Khmelnytskyi massacres of 1648-49. In 1662, 20 Jews lived here. A steam mill and several stalls were in the hands of Jews. In the 18th century, the majority of the Jewish population left the village because of the tough economic conditions. Many Jews moved to Zalishchyky. Around 100 Jews resided in Kasperivtsi in 1921. The Jews of Kasperivtsi were eliminated during the German occupation.