Kamyanets-Podilskyy Zinkivtsi Jewish Cemetery
To reach the cemetery, proceed to the northern end of Chkalova Street. Turn left and proceed for about 450 metres. The cemetery is located on the right of the road.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is slightly overgrown. It requires clearing and fencing. Several gravestones are buried in the ground or covered in vegetation. The part of the site was occupied for construction of a private house. ESJF expedition detected some gravestones behind the fence of the private house.
Number of existing gravestones
4. About 12 gravestone remnants are dug into the ground. There are no dates on the gravestones.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. First, it appears on old maps of the 1920s, and, later, it was marked on Polish and Russian maps of 1939.
Zin’kivtsi became a part of Kamyanets-Podils’kyy in the 20th century. In 1789, 161 Jews were inhabitants of Zin’kivtsi. By 1887, the Jewish population grew to 350 (36,8% of the total). In the 19th century, two synagogues operated. Jews were mainly engaged in craft by that time. Emil Krotky (1892 – 1963), a poet, satirist and feuilletonist, was born in the Zin’kivtsi.