Kamyanets-Podilskyy Karvasary New Jewish Cemetery
To reach the cemetery, proceed for about 130 metres in the southern direction from the crossroads of Karvasary Street and Ustyma Karmalyuka Street. The cemetery is located on a hill in the woods on the right of the road.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The cemetery is slightly overgrown. Clearing may reveal gravestones or the other signs of the demolished cemetery. The site borders with agricultural fields.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. First, it appears on the Red Army maps of 1939. There are no visible traces of the cemetery and its boundaries today.
Before 1923, Karvasary was an independent town. In 1847, the Jewish population stood at 752 Jews. It was 720 Jews and consisted of more than half of the total population in 1897. In 1865, two synagogues existed in Karvasary, and by 1889, one more synagogue was built.