Kamianka-Dniprovska Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
Behind No.2 Chelyuskin Street (formerly Zavalnaya street).
GPS coordinates
47.46597, 34.40368
Perimeter length
377 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
All that remains of the cemetery is an uneven surface of a soil covered with seasonal vegetation and the bluff. Locals say that some archaeologists used to come visit the site. It is not entirely clear to whom the territory belongs. The cemetery was partially flooded around 1950 and partially demolished. According to the stories of local residents, there was an Ohel, however over time it was dismantled. Archaeologists often visited the site.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved. There are no tombstones left.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

According to KSEN, the cemetery was gradually demolished as a result of the construction of the Kakhovskoe reservoir in the 1950s, some of the new burials were removed by relatives. The Ohel was dismantled over time, according to locals. It cannot be found marked on old maps of the region.

Kamianka-Dniprovs’ka (Ukr. Кам’янка-Дніпровська, Rus. Каменка-Днепровская, in 1793–1920 Malaya Znamenka, Ukr. Мала Знам’янка, Rus. Малая Знаменка, in 1920-44 Kamianka(-na-Dnipri), Ukr. Кам’янка(-на-Дніпрі), Rus. Каменка(-на-Днепре)) had a Jewish prayer house in 1885. There were 81 Jews in Kamianka in 1939. During the German occupation, 31 Jewish refugees were murdered in September 1941, and about 20 Kamianka Jews were taken to Nikopol and shot in February 1942. According to the 2001 census, there were a few Jews (<10) in Kamianka-Dniprovs’ka and the neighbouring area.

It is not known when the cemetery was founded. It was damaged when the Kakhovka Reservoir was created in 1956, some of the remains were reinterred by relatives elsewhere. According to the 1994–95 survey of the Jewish Preservation Committee (KSEN), there used to be an ohel and some tombstones, none of these can be seen now. The cemetery is regularly vandalized by grave robbers.