Kamenka Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
From the northern exit from the village of Kamenka, head south for 400m, the cemetery will be on the left 100m from the road (in the middle of the field).
GPS coordinates
47.96532, 33.79382
Perimeter length
433 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is not fenced.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is covered with dense vegetation. It needs clearing. The area is overgrown with grass. The site is an unknown area in the middle of the field. There is one tombstone, and there are many stone remains around, which appear to be building materials, but this is not certain.
Number of existing gravestones
There is 1 gravestone. There are many stone remains around, it looks like building materials, but this is not certain. The preserved tombstone was illegible.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The cemetery is marked on the maps of the 1860s-70s and 1941. Therefore it can be supposed that the cemtery was established no later than the second half of the 19th century.

Kamenka was founded as a Jewish agricultural colony in 1808 and is considered the oldest Jewish community in Ukraine. In 1886, there were 734 inhabitants. There was a synagogue, and a house of prayer.

According to the census of 1897, the Jewish population numbered 709 people, out of the total population of 843, comprising 84.1% of the town. By 1926, the Hewish community had fallen to 787 people, but now comprised 91% of the town. The Jews were involved in both agriculture and trading. The famous Jewish merchant-inventor Konstantyn Honcharov lived in Kamenka. By 1931, the total population numbered 1,458 people.

There is no information about the modern Jewish community of Kamenka.

Kamenka was occupied in August 1941. In 1942, Jews from Kamenka and the area were executed.

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. The cemetery was founded no later than in the second half of the 19th century. It is marked on the old maps of the region from the 1860’s-70’s and from 1941. There is only 1 gravestone remaining at the site, as well as some others who are ruined. The cemetery is heavily overgrown.

3D model