Kalynivske Jewish Сemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
From the southern exit of the village of Kalininskoye, drive south for 90m, the cemetery is on the right, with the entrance through the municipal cemetery.
GPS coordinates
47.11141, 32.96728
Perimeter length
388 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is a municipal part and a Jewish section. The entire territory of the cemetery is fenced. The front is fenced with an iron fences about 1.5m high, on the right there is a concrete fence about 1m high. At the rear and to the left there is a meter-long masonry wall, which is broken in places.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is shared, there is a separate section for the Jewish cemetery, the entrance is through municipal one. The cemetery is covered with dense seasonal vegetation. Some parts are overgrown with bushes and requires clearing.
Number of existing gravestones
There are about 1,000 gravestones.
Date of oldest tombstone
1914 (the earliest tombstones found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
2019 (the latest tombstones found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

According to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage (KSEN), the cemetery was established in 1807. It is marked on map from 1890 and on a German map from the 1930s.

The colony of Seydemenukha (Ukr., Rus. Сейдеменуха, Yid. שׂדה מנוחה), which means “Field of Repose” in Hebrew, was founded in 1807 by Jews from Vitebsk, Mogilev, and Chernigov Governorates. After Malaya Seydemenukha was founded in 1841, the old colony became known as Bolshaya Seydemenukha (Great Seydemenukha). A German community emerged in the colony in the 1850’s and there were 1,287 Jews (82% of the total population) in the colony in 1897. The community maintained a synagogue, 2 prayer houses, several cheders, a library, and a loan fund. Zionists became active in 1917. The colony survived looting and several pogroms during the Civil War of 1918–21. In 1926, Seydemenukha Jews founded the colony Roytfeld (now Vyshneve). In 1927, Seydemenukha was renamed Kalinindorf (Ukr. Калініндорф, Rus. Калининдорф, Yid. קאַלינינדאָרף) and became the centre of Kalinindorf Jewish National Raion, which included 11 village councils, 8 of which were Jewish. Kalinindorf had a Yiddish-language school, an agricultural school, and a teacher-training college. A newspaper was published in Yiddish. The synagogue was closed in the late 1920’s. A collective farm was created in 1930. There were 1,879 Jews (60% of the total population) in Kalinindorf in 1939. Some of them were able to evacuate before the Germans arrived in August 1941. Most of the remaining Jews were murdered in September 1941. A certain number of Jews returned after the war, but were a small minority. The settlement was renamed Kalininske (Ukr. Калінінське, Rus. Калининское) in 1944 and Kalynivs’ke (Ukr. Калинівське, Rus. Калиновское) in 2016.

According to the 1994–95 survey of the Jewish Preservation Committee (KSEN), the cemetery was founded in 1807. The earliest surviving tombstone dates to 1914.