Kalnyk Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located on the western outskirts of Kal'nyk village. Proceed for 800 metres from the central square of Kal'nyk in the direction of Kuz'myno village. The cemetery is on the right of the road.
GPS coordinates
48.51668, 22.58681
Perimeter length
196 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by a concrete fence, constructed by ESJF in November 2015.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is cleared of vegetation.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Presumably, the Jewish Cemetery in Kal’nyk was established in the 19th century. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in 1815. The cemetery is depicted on a cadastral map of 1865. It later expanded. The latest remaining tombstone dates from 1927.

Jews are believed to have arrived in the Kal’nyk area during the 18th century. In 1880, there were 212 Jews living in the town. In 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population decreased to 163 individuals. Hungarians arrived in Kal’nyk in March 1939, with the consequence that Jews were persecuted and forced out of their occupations. By 1941, Jews from the area were drafted into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. A few families without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kamenets-Podolski in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. The remaining Jews of Kal’nyk were deported to Auschwitz late May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.

3D model