Jurbarkas Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Taurage County
Site address
The cemetery is located to the south of the intersection of Dariaus ir Gireno Street, highway 141, and S. Daukanto Street.
GPS coordinates
55.079870, 22.790021
Perimeter length
510 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Type of the fence
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery. The cemetery is somewhat overgrown.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
There is a memorial dedicated to the old Jewish cemetery and the people buried therein.
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Given the oldest tombstone is dated to the late 19th century, it can be inferred the cemetery was founded around that era.

Jurbarkas (Pl. Jurbork, Yid. יורבורג) is first mentioned in a Jewish context in the response of R. Meir ben Gedalyah from Lublin in the 1590s. The legal issue concerned a woman whose husband had been killed there. By 1650, there were already 7 Jewish households in the town. In 1766, the Jewish population was 2,333. The community maintained a cemetery and a few prayer houses, among them the magnificent wooden Synagogue built in 1790, one of the oldest in Lithuania. The majority of the Jews were involved in the timber industry and trade with Germany. The community was strongly influenced by the Haskalah ideas. In 1884, the local talmud-torah began to teach mathematics and Russian in addition to traditional subjects. One of its teachers was the famous Hebrew writer Avraham Mapu. In the late 1880s, after three years of negotiations with authorities, a cooperative credit company was established. During WWI, Jews were forced to leave the town and not all of them returned afterwards. In 1923, during the first census in the Independent Lithuanian state, the Jewish population of Jurbarkas was 1,887 Jews, or 43% of the total. The Jewish People’s Bank (Folksbank) was established in 1922. Zionism was very strong in Jurbarkas, one of the two public parks was even informally called Tel Aviv. The Soviet occupation of 1940 disrupted community life. Various sources have different figures for the number of Jews in Jurbarkas at the beginning of the war, the lowest being 1,319 and the highest 2,500. After the German invasion in June 1941, mass shootings began. The Jews were forced to tear down the old wooden synagogue. Three days later Torah scrolls and religious books were burned. Murders continued until September. On October 1, the mayor reported that no Jews remained in Jurbarkas. However, a few individuals survived, some joining the partisans.

3D model