Janow Lubelski New Jewish Cemetery
In 1825 a plot of land for the new Jewish cemetery in Janów Lubelski was acquired, and the first burials took place the following year. The cemetery was located about 1.4 km to the southeast of the market square. Originally, it covered an area of 1 morga (about 0.6 hectares (ha)) and was enclosed with a wooden fence. A small building (the purpose of which is unknown) was erected there as well. In 1915, 10 Jewish soldiers from the Austro-Hungarian army were buried there. The cemetery was expanded over the years and, in the interwar period, it was shaped like an elongated rectangle, covered an area of 1.47 ha, and was enclosed with a stone wall. The cemetery was seriously damaged during World War II. In 1942, the Germans murdered about 300 Jews in the cemetery, and murdered several dozen more by 1944. The bodies were buried in unmarked mass graves which have not been located. After the war, the cemetery further degraded. The ruins of the wall were torn down and the remains of matzevot were taken away. In 1971, the area was planted with pine trees. The area of the cemetery has since been partially preserved. The lower part of the wall and the bases of a few matzevot remain.