Jand Old Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery is located within the municipal cemetery, on Rákóczi Street.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The site has been abandoned. it is covered by dense vegetation.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Preserved construction on site
There were two Jewish cemeteries in Jánd, the older of which was in use as early as 1865, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year. The cemetery has not been fenced, and it is not known when it ceased to be in operation.
In 1851, there were 12 Jewish inhabitants in the village who were rich in wood, hay, fruit, and fish. In 1880, among the village’s total population of 814, 69 were Jews. The number of Jewish residents, however, steadily declined in the following decades and by 1941 only 37 Jews remained in the settlement. Painter Dávid Jándi (born in 1893) is the only famous Jewish from Jánd.