Izyaslav Old Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located behind the Christian cemetery, opposite to the house at 32, Ostroz'ka Street. The entrance to the site is located at the southeast end of Ostroz'kyy lane.
GPS coordinates
50.12709, 26.80232
Perimeter length
729 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is slightly overgrown. The site is used for cattle grazing.
Number of existing gravestones
150. There are some standing gravestones on the site. The rest gravestones are laying down. It should be lifted and cleared for the exact dating of the cemetery.
Date of oldest tombstone
1743 (oldest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
1884 (latest found by ESJF expedition)
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
There is an ohel on the cemetery site. It is dedicated to Rabbanit Sasi (died in1806), a wife of rabbi Nahman of Braslav, Rabbi Iona, a grandfather of the Holy Brothers of Kamyanka, Rabbanit Reyza Halfrin (died in 1711), Rabbi Menahem Mendl, a student of Besht, Rabbi Yaakov Shmuel Shapiro of Zaslav (Izyaslav), a son of Rabbi Pinhas of Korets', Rabbi Israel Halperin (died in 1731), Rabbi Israel Kharif (died in 1770), and Rabbi Mordekhai Halperin, a khazan of Zaslav (Izyaslav) and student of Besht.
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. The oldest gravestone relates to the mid-18th century, so it can be assumed that the cemetery emerged during that period. First, it appears on a Russian map of the 1920s.

The Jewish community was established in the 16th century. During the Khmelnytskyi uprising, nearly 200 Jews were captured or murdered. The majority of Jews fled to Ostroh and Mezhirich, then to Dubno. The community suffered during pogrom staged by Cossacks in 1708. In 1747, and 1830, the blood libel processes happened in the town. The Jewish population increased from 2,807 people in 1765 to 5,998 (47,6% of the total) in 1897. In the early 18th century, a Baal Shem Tov’s descent, Rabbi Mordechai was a cantor of the town. Rabbi Jacob Shimon Shapiro (1772-1811) founded a Hasidic dynasty in Izyaslav. In 1857, 14 synagogues and prayer houses operated in Izyaslav. By 1902, its amount reduced to 11. In 1886, a Jewish hospital, almshouse, Mark Borukh Feld’s library and bookstore functioned. In 1909, a Talmud-Torah (closed in 1913), and private Jewish schools for boys and girls were in operation. The peak of the Jewish population stood at 6,365 in 1912, and it declined to 3,820 (32,6% of the total) in 1926. On November 30, 1917, a pogrom was staged. In the early 1920s, the clandestine Zionists were active in the town. The Jewish population dropped to 3,208 in 1939. The Wehrmacht occupied Izyaslav on July 5, 1941. On August 24, 1941, 1,000 Jews were murdered. A ghetto was created. In 1942, 5,000 ghetto prisoners were executed. In the 1990s, the Einikite Jewish culture society was established.

3D model