Izmayil Old Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery site can be found under the address 138, Suvorova Street, as it is built on the cemetery site.
GPS coordinates
45.35998, 28.83858
Perimeter length
645 meters. The cemetery's perimeter is approximate. The territory is partially under construction, and partially used today as a park.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The former cemetery site is used now as a wasteland. There are some buildings on the territory.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The Jewish cemetery was established in 1835. The cemetery was vandalised during World War II but was still used afterwards. The last known Jewish burial at the site took place in 1969. The site was demolished in 1970, and some stones were moved to Izmayil’s New cemetery. The municipality owns the property, and today it is used as a waste dump.

The Jewish community of Izmayil was first mentioned during the 16th century. In 1827, 549 Jews (6% of the total population) lived in Izmayil, and by 1847, its Jewish population had reached 1,105. In 1825, a synagogue was built. Various rabbis served in the synagogues of Izmayil from the 19th century onwards. One was Yom-Tov-Lipa Landa, who served as rabbi from 1864 to 1872. In 1836, some Jews who had been expelled from Nikolaev and Sevastopol settled here. In 1869, a Jewish hospital was established. A Talmud Tora for children from poor families was operating from 1872 until 1888. In 1872, a pogrom took place in Izmayil, in which 60 Jewish houses were burned. In 1897, the Jewish population numbered 2,780 (12% of the total population), and by 1910, it had grown to 4,348 (12% of the total population). During the early 20th century, two private Jewish schools were operating. During a pogrom in October 1905, about 50 Jews perished. By 1910, three synagogues and a Jewish cemetery were functioning. In the period under Romanian rule, Jewish kindergartens, a Tarbut school and a Jewish hospital were operating. Zionist organisations were active in the town from 1927 onwards. In 1930, the Jewish population was reduced to 1,326 individuals (7% of the total population). The Soviet government deported prosperous Jews of Izmayil to Bolhrad under its rule from 1940 to 1941. After the town’s occupation by German-Romanian forces on July 19, 1941, 120 Jews were murdered. The surviving 52 Jews were confined to a ghetto. Due to influx from refugees from Bessarabia, there were almost 1,000 Jews living in the ghetto. In October 1941, the Jewish population was deported to Transnistria, where the majority perished. In 1959, 1,500 Jews were residing in Izmayil (3% of the total population). In the 1990s, a Jewish religious community was founded.