Ivnytsya Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
Cemetery does not have an address. The cemetery is located in the southern outskirts of the village, 165m south of the dam bridge across the Ivyanka river, on the left hand side of the road.
GPS coordinates
50.14143, 29.04339
Perimeter length
399 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is covered with tense seasonal vegetation. It is used for cattle grazing.
Number of existing gravestones
There are around 20 whole gravestones, as well as a few pieces of tombstones.
Date of oldest tombstone
1894 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
1910 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
There is an Ohel for R. Zeev Wolf on the site.
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It emerged no later than the late 19th century, as the earliest preserved tombstone dates to 1894. It is marked on a Russian  map from the 1900’s as a Christian graveyard.

Ivnytsya (Ukr. Івниця, Rus. Ивница, Yid. איווניצע) had a Jewish population of 88 as early as in 1765. The community grew to 1,060 in 1847 and reached 607 in 1897, which was 20% of the total population. The synagogue was first mentioned in 1865. According to their birth certificate, Ivnytsya is the birthplace of the Hebrew poet Hayim Nahman Bialik (1873–1934), although he actually spent the first years of his life in the nearby village of Hrada. In July 1941, the town was occupied by the advancing German army. It is likely that the majority of them were murdered not long after this.
It is unknown when the cemetery was founded. The earliest tombstone dates back to 1894. A new ohel has been built over R. Zeev Wolf’s grave. Few of the stones remain intact and the cemetery is being used as pasture land.

3D model