Ivanytsya Jewish Cemetery
From the Christian cemetery on Shevchenko Street proceed north along Shevchenko street for around 400 metres, then turn right between the houses and continue for a further 230 metres along the gardens until the edge of the wood. The location and delineation is approximate, based on the testimony of local people. Approximate perimeter - 352 metres.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over. The location and delineation of the cemetery site is approximate, based on the testimony of local people. Most of them locate the cemetery in a derelict site marked by ESJF team. However, according to other evidence, the private houses on Shevchenka Street are built on the cemetery site.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Ivanytsya was established in 16th century. The earliest known Jewish Community in the town dated back to the second half of the 19th century. As of 1890 there were around 50 Jewish families, whose general activity was trade. In 1886 there were 16 shops and 10 taverns in the town, some of which were supposedly Jewish-owned. As of 1910, the number had dropped to 36. In 1917, the Jewish community survived a pogrom. By1930, only 6 Jews remained. As of 2001, the total population numbered 1,858 people. Ivanytsya was occupied from September 15th, 1941 until September 17th, 1943. Locals recall the cemetery was demolished before WWII, in the 1930s. The Jewish population left the town during the Civil war of 1918-1919 because of the pogroms.