Ivanopil Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located west of No.61 May street.
GPS coordinates
49.87371, 28.20624
Perimeter length
523 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Only 4 single pieces of the fence are left.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is abandoned. It is covered with seasonal vegetation and partially overgrown with bushes, the gravestones are and a mass grave are overgrown. There is litter in the bushes. The mass grave site is overgrown. Lots of garbage on the territory. The dirt road passes across the indicated territory.
Number of existing gravestones
There are 3 unreadable pieces of gravestones and a mass grave.
Date of oldest tombstone
1945 (the only readable iron sign in the graveplace).
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

According to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, the cemetery was established in the 19th century. It is marked on maps from the 1870s and 1941. During the expedition of the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage in 1995, there were 20 tombstones and a mass grave.

Ivanopil’ (Ukr. Іванопіль, Rus. Иванополь, until 1946 Ianushpol’ – Ukr. Янушпіль, Rus. Янушполь, Yid. יאַנעשפּאָליע) had Jewish residents as early as in 1569. The Jewish population grew from 605 in 1847 to 1,251 (25% of the town) in 1897. The community maintained a synagogue, a prayer house and a talmud-torah. During the Civil War of 1918–21, the community survived a number of pogroms. A Jewish elementary school operated in the interwar period.
There were 721 Jewish residents in the town in 1939. After the arrival of the Germans in 1941, the Jews were confined in a ghetto. The majority of them were murdered in May 1942 along with Jews from the surrounding areas.
The exact date of the establishment of the cemetery is unknown, however it is marked on maps from the 1870s.