Irlyava Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is located at the entrance of the village coming from the direction of Chabanivka. It is near the house on 1, Shevchenka Street, to the left of the road.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is surrounded by a mesh fence with gabion sections, erected by ESJF in July 2017.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is in good condition. The territory is clear of vegetation.
Number of existing gravestones
23. Some tombstones are broken.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Presumably, the Jewish cemetery of Irlyava was established in the 19th century. According to epigraphic data, it already existed in 1875. The cemetery was used presumably until WWII, although the most recent preserved gravestone dates to 1927.
Jews are believed to have arrived in the Irlyava area in the late 18th century. In 1880, there were 85 Jews living there. 30 years later, the Jewish population numbered 89. By 1921, during the Czechoslovakian period, the Jewish population decreased to 83 individuals. Some Jews were active in agriculture and commerce. By 1930, the Jewish population had increased to 95. Hungarians arrived to Irlyava in March 1939, with the consequence that Jews were persecuted and forced out of their occupations. From 1940 to 1941, Jews from the area were drafted into forced labour battalions. Others were sent to the Eastern front, where most perished. In 1941, some families without Hungarian citizenship were expelled to Kamenets-Podolski in Nazi-occupied Ukrainian territory and murdered. In the same year, there were around 110 Jews living in Irlyava. They were deported to Auschwitz in late May 1944. No Jews live in the town today.