Ichnya Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Given the oldest matzeva dates to the early 20th century, it can be inferred the cemetery was founded in that era. The cemetery can be found marked on a Red Army map of the region from 1939.
The earliest evidence of a Jewish community in Ichnya dates to the latter half of the 19th century. In 1903, Jews were granted permission to settle in Ichnya. The rabbi was Chaim Alexander-Sender Belinka. In 1910, 575 Jews lived in the town, and a synagogue and a cemetery had been established. The Jewish community survived a pogrom carried out by the Directorate in 1919. By 1926, the Jewish community had reduced by half (250 people; 2,1% of the total population). In 1939, there were only 148 people left. Ichnya was occupied form September 14th, 1941 until September 15th-17th, 1943. As of 2018, the total population numbered 11,042 people. The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. The oldest matzeva dates to the early 20th century. The cemetery can be found marked on a Red Army map of the region from 1939, and its boundaries have remained unchanged since. There are separate sections for men and women. The last known Hasidic Jewish burial took place in 1989.