Horodok Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located behind the houses on Chaykovs'koho Street, adjacent to the crossroads with Ostrovsʹkoho Street.
GPS coordinates
49.17246, 26.55317
Perimeter length
544 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is slightly overgrown. It requires clearing and fencing.
Number of existing gravestones
2,000. Vegetation on the site does not allow to establish the exact number of gravestones.
Date of oldest tombstone
1831 (oldest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
1983 (latest found by ESJF expedition)
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
There is an ohel, dedicated to Rabbi Moshe, a son of Rabbi Yoel, Rabbi Israel, and Rabbi Abraham, an author of Holekh Tamim. It was installed by the Ohalei Tzadikim - Gader Avot union.
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. The oldest preserved gravestone relates to the first half of the 19th century, so it can be assumed that the cemetery emerged during that period. The site was marked on a Russian map of the 19th century and Polish map of 1939, but it was not as a Jewish cemetery.

Jews are known from 1630. In 1648-49, they were attacked by the Cossacks troops during the Khmelnytskyi uprising. The number of the Jewish population was 645 people in 1765. Jews were engaged in trade and crafts in the 19th century. By 1897, the Jewish population stood at 3,194 (37% of the total population). This figure declined to 2,329 in 1939. The Wehrmacht troops occupied Horodok on July 8, 1941. The major part of the Jewish community of Horodok was expelled to Yarmolyntsi in October 1942, where they were murdered. The remaining 103 Jews were killed in winter 1942.

3D model