Hodasz Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located on Dózsa György Street, about 25m south of József Attila Street, on the other side of the road.
GPS coordinates
47.91158, 22.20516
Perimeter length
335 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is a concrete fence, about 2.5m high.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is fenced and regularly maintained.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The Jewish cemetery of Hodász was in use as early as 1875, since the earliest gravestone found in the cemetery dates to that year. The cemetery remained in operation until at least 1951 – the year which is marked on the latest discovered tombstone. The cemetery is fenced and maintained.

By 1840, 192 Jews were living in Hodász. In 1848, 142 Jews (38 families) lived in the town and worked mainly as merchants, tailors, bakers, teachers, and furriers. In 1880, Jews constituted 236 individuals among the town’s total population of 1,093. In the first decades of the 20th century, local Jewish families played a major role in the social and economic life of the village.

Shops owned by Jews were opened, including a kosher butchery, and Jewish traders transported calves that were bought in the area. 191 Jews lived in Hodász in 1939, and 167 in 1941. In 1944 there were 162 members of the Orthodox community of Hodász, including 28 of whom were taxpayers. The community had a rabbi and 3 employees. In 1944, 40 Jewish families were deported from the village. Most of local Jews were killed in the Holocaust. The synagogue was demolished in the late 1950’s. Today, no Jews live in the settlement.