Hlynyany Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
9, Sheptitskogo Street. The cemetery was demolished during the war. On its site today, there is a woodworking factory.
GPS coordinates
49.82129, 24.52348
Perimeter length
300 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of cemetery establishment is unknown. The cemetery was marked on an Austro-Hungarian map of 1880s. Presumably, it was demolished during WWII and later built over.

The earliest recordings of the Jews of Hlynyany date back to 1474. In the beginning of the 17th century, Jews were renting a brewery. The Jewish community suffered during the Khmelnitsky troops’ invasion in 1648-49. In 1765, 688 Jews were living in Hlynyany. In the early 18th century, the ideas of Sabbatai Zvi and Jacob Frank gained following among the Jews of the local community. In 1721, a stone synagogue was built, replacing the old wooden one. In the 18th century, Nachman Rapoport fulfilled the duties of rabbi. In 1850, a Hasidic court was founded by Yehiel Mikhl Moskovitz. The Jewish population grew to 2,088 (45% of the total population) in 1890. In 1894 and 1895, a four-year vocational school for 200 Jewish students and a primary school were established with support from Baron Hirsch. The Jewish population reached 2,418 people (45% of the total population) in 1910. It decreased to 1,679 (39% of the total population) by 1921, as Jews fled from the beginning of WWI. In the interwar period, the Jewish community faced economic hardship and the antisemitic mood among the general population increased. The Zionists, who were active before in 1939, were forced to cease their activity when the Soviets occupied the town. On July 1, 1941, Wehrmacht troops captured Hlynyany. In November and December 1942, the Jewish residents of Hlynyany were deported to the ghettos of the surrounding towns. In 1944–46, a few Jewish families resumed living in Hlynyany.