Hajduhadhaz Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is located on Irinyi János Street, at the intersection with Dorogiás Street.
448 metres. Today’s fenced perimeter is smaller than marked on the cadastral map.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is a 3m high concrete fence.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is fenced and well maintained.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Preserved construction on site
The Jewish cemetery of Hajdúhadház was established as early as 1854, since the oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that year. The latest tombstone was erected in 1993. The cemetery has been fenced by the Heritage Foundation for Preservation of Jewish Cemeteries; however the fenced area is smaller than the historical area of the cemetery.
In 1840, there were no Jews living in Hajdúhadház, however by 1880, Jews accounted for 331 people of the town’s total population (7,414). The Orthodox Community of Hajdúhadház was founded in 1850. After the war, in 1946, there were still 198 Jews living in Hajdúhadház, however by 1967 there were only 8 left.