Gyugye Jewish Cemetery
The Jewish cemetery is located on Petőfi Street, next to the municipal cemetery.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is a wire fence, 2 metres high. It is damaged and at the rear there is no fence at all.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The territory is swampy and is used as a fruit garden.
Number of existing gravestones
4 intact and 3 broken gravestones were located.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
The Jewish cemetery of Gyügye was in use as early as 1856, as the earliest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that year. The latest tombstone discovered in the cemetery was erected in 1917. The cemetery has been fenced.
Jewish presence in Gyügye has always been scarce: In 1880, there were merely 11 Jews living there – which was the peak of the Jewish population in the settlement. 10 Jews lived there in 1880, 9 in 1910, 8 in 1920, and only 2 in 1930. No Jews lived in Gyügye in 1944. However, one Jew from Gyügye is reported to have been murdered in the Holocaust.