Glogowek Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Opole Voivodeship
Site address
48-250, Olszynka Street.
GPS coordinates
50.3675495, 17.8670311
Perimeter length
264 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is partially fenced with metal mesh, however the fence has collapsed in several places. The pillars of the former brick fence, which has otherwise completely disappeared , remain.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery wall is not complete and has collapsed in several places. The cemetery is mostly overgrown with some signs of vandalism.
Number of existing gravestones
207 Matzevot. Roughly 50 percent of all Matzevot are broken.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Głogówek was established in 1275. The first mention of Jewish residents settling in the city dates back to 1349. The Jewish population was forced to flee the city several times. In the second half of the 18th century, a kehilla was established. In 1840, there were 133 Jewish residents, comprising 4,3% of the total population. A synagogue already existed in 1851; another, Progressive-Reform synagogue was built in 1864. In 1880, there were 170 Jewish residents in the city. In 1932, there were only 50 (0,7% of the total population). During the Night of Broken Glass (Kristallnacht), the synagogue was burned down and the windows in shops and houses owned by Jewish residents were broken. In 1942, Jews from Głogówek were transported to the ghetto in Terezin.

The cemetery is located on a small rise by the woods, by what is currently Olszynka Street, approximately 2 km north of the city center. It is only possible to enter from the neighboring fields or woods.

The exact date of the cemetery’s founding is not known. As indicated by the oldest preserved matzevah, it definitely existed in 1821. The last recorded burial took place on March 15th, 1936. In 1939, the cemetery became the property of the Jewish Association of Germany, and in 1943, it was taken over by the Gestapo. After 1945, the cemetery fell into disrepair and some of the tombstones were stolen.
In the cemetery, there are around 65 tombstones preserved to varying degrees, some overturned. Most are made of sandstone or limestone. Original decorations and inscriptions in Hebrew and German have been preserved. The oldest tombstone dates back to August 19th, 1821, and belongs to Gitel Löwe. The cemetery has an acreage of 0,37 ha.

Due to the efforts of the county, plans were made to clean and maintain the cemetery in 2021. On March 14th, 1990, it was added to the Register of Historical Landmarks under the designation 242/90.