Gavavencsello Jewish Cemetery in Gava
11, Hatház Street,
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is a 2 metres high concrete fence.
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The site is in a really good condition. It is not overgrown.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
There are two Jewish cemeteries in the modern territory of Gávavencsellő. This cemetery belonged to the Jewish community of Gáva and existed as early as 1844, which is the date marked on the earliest tombstone found in the cemetery. The cemetery remained in operation until at least 1938, judging by the date on the most recent tombstone found in the cemetery. The cemetery has been fenced.
Gávavencsellő was established by the merger of two settlements in 1971: Gáva and Vencsellő. In 1840, the settlement of Gáva had 84 Jews. The number of Jewish inhabitants increased to 274 by 1880, when the total population was 2,333. In 1944, Jews from the settlement were taken to the Nyíregyháza Ghetto.