Garbolc Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is located on Rákóczi Street. It is not numbered but may be No.1.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
It is a highly endangered cemetery. The territory is used as a farm owned by the mayor. On the territory of cemetery a lot of trash, excrement and industrial waste was found. The cemetery is easily accessed by dogs.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Preserved construction on site
The Jewish cemetery of Garbolc existed as early as 1895, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year.
Garbolc is the easternmost settlement in Hungary. In 1840, 19 Jews lived there. In 1880, of the village’s total population of 292, 29 were Jews. In the following years there were 35 Jews in 1910, 23 in 1920, 33 in 1930, and 17 in 1941. The Jewish inhabitants of Garbolc were detained in the Szatmárnémeti (Satu Mare) Ghetto in 1944. There used to be a synagogue in the village which does not exist anymore.