Fehergyarmat New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
20, Mártírok Street.
GPS coordinates
47.98203, 22.50769
Perimeter length
311 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is a concrete fence, about 2-2.5m high.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The grass is mown only on the part of the territory, however the tombstones are clean and upright. The territory is somewhat swampy. One gravestone resembles a cenotaph.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
There are 3 graves inside a building. Although it is likely that this is a technical building and not an ohel. The graves are dedicated to; Shmuel David Toiba Asher Anshil
Drone surveys

Historical overview

There were two Jewish cemeteries in Fehérgyarmat. The new Jewish cemetery does not appear on the cadastral map of 1892, and the earliest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to 1918. It can therefore be assumed that the new cemetery was founded around this date. Burials were conducted until at least 1944, which is the date marked on the most recent tombstone. The cemetery was fenced and appears to be catalogued. There are a few ohalim and a cenotaph.

The first Jews began to settle in the Fehérgyarmat in the second half of the 18th century after being invited to work for the owner of the local estate. The Jews developed commercial life in the town and marketed local agricultural products, included jams and wool. In 1930 the town had 25 merchants, 30 artisans, 5 landowners, 7 farm owners, 9 industrialists, 3 doctors, 5 lawyers, a veterinarian, a pharmacist, and two street sweepers. Until 1810, the Jewish community of Fehérgyarmat came under the supervision of the Csenger rabbinate, after which they became an independent community. During the schism in Hungarian Jewry at the Congress of Hungarian Jews in 1868 and 1869 between the ultra-Orthodox and the Maskilim, the Jewish community of Fehérgyarmat joined the Orthodox sect. From 1885, the rabbinates of the surrounding villages came under the jurisdiction of the rabbinate of Fehérgyarmat.

In addition to a synagogue, there were also a beit midrash, a cheder, and charitable institutions such as Tiferet Bachurim, a burial society (Chevra Kadisha), and an association of boys. The school was founded in 1906 and there was also a cheder, a Talmud Torah, and a yeshiva. Rabbi Shmuel David Halevi Jungreiss (or Jungreiz), who founded the yeshiva, was the town’s rabbi in 1868-1893. Rabbi Yaakov Jungreis was the rabbi of the community until its destruction. During the period of “”white terror”” between 1919 and 1921 carried out by right-wing groups in the military after the fall of the Communist government in Hungary, an economic and social boycott of the Jews was declared. Several Jews were attacked and beaten in the streets and, as a result, many Jews left the town and emigrated to the United States and Canada.

In 1944, the Jewish community wrote in the census of Hungarian communities that their community had 708 members, the rabbi of the community was Rabbi Yaakov Jungreiss, and 108 children studied in the two schools of the community. In March 1944, when the German army entered Hungary, the locals fully cooperated in the concentration and confinement of the city’s Jews. In April, all the local Jews were transferred to the Mátészalka Ghetto, where they were held for about a month in harsh conditions. In May of that year, the first deportation from Mátészalka to the Auschwitz concentration camp left, and by the end of May 1944, the Ghetto was liquidated. After the Holocaust, 84 survivors returned to the town, most from forced labour camps and a small minority from Auschwitz. The survivors reorganized the Jewish community, but after the establishment of the State of Israel, 23 of the local Jews emigrated to Israel and the rest did not stay in the city.