Egyek Jewish Cemetery 2

Cemetery Information

Site address
3, Árpád Street.
GPS coordinates
47.62578, 20.89105
Perimeter length
121 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery has been demolished. The site is now split into two plots, one is occupied by the Lottery house and the other, smaller plot, is used for agricultural use. The owner of the smaller plot is not cooperative.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

There were two Jewish cemeteries in Egyek. This cemetery was established as early as 1870, since it appears on the cadastral map of that year. The cemetery was demolished and built over at an unknown time. Presumably, three tombstones from this cemetery were moved to the other Jewish cemetery in the village.

Egyek is a village in Hajdú-Bihar County. Most of the village’s Jews were engaged in trade, while others were artisans, and later farmers and private officials. In 1860, the community purchased a plot of land for a cemetery, established the Chevra Kadisha (burial society), and opened a cheder. In 1880, Jews accounted for 124 people of the village’s total population of 3,639. Thirty years later, in 1910, there were 142 Jews living in the village. The synagogue was built in 1905, which has, unfortunately, since been demolished. 115 Jews lived in the village in 1920 and 123 in 1930. In 1941, Jews accounted for 107 people in the village (of 7,473) 1941. During the White Terror, Jewish shops were smashed, and stones were thrown at the synagogue. In 1938, the authorities revoked the industrial license of Jews, following which the pub and the tobacco shop were closed. A Jewish shopkeeper was prohibited from selling sugar, flour, and soap. Later, land was expropriated from the Jews. The Orthodox community of Egyek had 86 members in 1944, including 20 of whom were taxpayers. The president of the community was Arnold Domán. The community did not have a rabbi, and only employed a caretaker.