Egyek Jewish Cemetery 1

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located at the intersection of Tópart and Hunyadi János streets.
GPS coordinates
47.62052, 20.8921
Perimeter length
132 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is a concrete fence, about 2m high.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is in the centre of the settlement. It is well maintained and protected. The gravestones have been restored. There is a Holocaust memorial.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

There were two Jewish cemeteries in Egyek. This cemetery was established after 1870, since it does not appear on the cadastral map of that year. The oldest tombstone found in the cemetery dates to 1871, however it was presumably moved to the territory from the other cemetery prior to its destruction. The latest tombstone found in the cemetery was erected in 1940. The cemetery has been fenced and a Holocaust memorial was unveiled in 2014.

Egyek is a village in Hajdú-Bihar County. Most of the village’s Jews were engaged in trade, while others were artisans, and later farmers and private officials. In 1860, the community purchased a plot of land for a cemetery, established the Chevra Kadisha (burial society), and opened a cheder. In 1880, Jews accounted for 124 people of the village’s total population of 3,639. Thirty years later, in 1910, there were 142 Jews living in the village. The synagogue was built in 1905, which has, unfortunately, since been demolished. 115 Jews lived in the village in 1920 and 123 in 1930. In 1941, Jews accounted for 107 people in the village (of 7,473) 1941. During the White Terror, Jewish shops were smashed, and stones were thrown at the synagogue. In 1938, the authorities revoked the industrial license of Jews, following which the pub and the tobacco shop were closed. A Jewish shopkeeper was prohibited from selling sugar, flour, and soap. Later, land was expropriated from the Jews. The Orthodox community of Egyek had 86 members in 1944, including 20 of whom were taxpayers. The president of the community was Arnold Domán. The community did not have a rabbi, and only employed a caretaker.