Dzyhivka Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located opposite the house on 38 Viiskova Street.
GPS coordinates
48.35694, 28.32772
Perimeter length
497 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Remnants of a masonry wall are visible on the cemetery’s front and western sides.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is well-maintained, but one section is severely overgrown. A pre-burial house is located in the thickets. The cemetery’s south and east sides are not fenced, but a ditch is visible. There is a monument on the site to the victims of the Holocaust. The cemetery is generally well-maintained, although the older section of the cemetery is severely overgrown.
Number of existing gravestones
Approximately 1,000.
Date of oldest tombstone
1912 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
1979 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
There is a damaged pre-burial house among the thickets.
Drone surveys

Historical overview

According to Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, the cemetery was founded in the second half of the 18th century. It can be found marked on maps of the region from the 1900s and 1941.

The village of Dzyhivka is mentioned by name as early as 1500. From 1569 the region belonged to The Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth, and became part of the Bracław Voivodeship. In 1787, King Stanisław August Poniatowski of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth officially proclaimed it a market town. At this time there already lived a few Jewish families. Due to that fact, Dzyhivka attracted a large Jewish population. In 1793, after the Second partition of Poland, it came under control of the Russian Empire, and became part of the Podolia Governorate (Podolskaya Gubernia). In 1847, Jews in Dzyhivka numbered 1028 people. 12 chadarim were established there, for around 120 students. In 1852, there were 35 Jewish craftsmen with a total turnover of 1500 rubles per year. In 1853, there was a synagogue with a congregation of 1056 people, by 1889 there were three synagogues, and in the early 1900s there were five synagogues. At this time many Jewish people were working at the bank, at the medical facility, and running the factories. There were approximately fifty Jewish owned registered businesses. In the late 1880s, Zionist ideas became popular, especially among the young Jews. In 1897, Jews comprised 30% (2187 of 7194) of Dzyhivka’s population.
In November 1905 and again in December 1917 there were Anti-Jewish pogroms. After 1922, Dzyhivka became part of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic within the USSR. In 1923, the Jewish population was 1561 (20%). Between 1923 and 1926 Dzyhivka natives founded 3 Soviet Jewish agricultural colonies in the Kherson region. In Dzyhivka operated an official Yiddish school and illegal cheder. In 1939, right before World War II, the Jewish population of Dzyhivka numbered 858 people, approximately 12% of the population.
In late July 1941, the village was occupied by the Romanian Army and became part of the Transnistria governorate. A labor ghetto was established and 100 Jews from Bessarabia and Bukovina were brought in, with many locals being sent to other labor camps. By September 1, only 105 Jews were still alive in the ghetto. In the spring of 1944, the village was released from occupation, and the Jewish exodus began to major cities and to other countries. By 1998, only 12 elderly residents remained, and there are none living there today.
The Jewish cemetery is situated on the Eastern outskirts of the town. It contains around 1000 headstones dated from the 19th and 20th centuries.

3D model