Dunayiv Jewish Cemetery
Following the main road leading out of the village, take the first right turn into the field and proceed for 500 metres. Cross the field and look for a road leading into the forest. At all forks in the road, take the right road. The cemetery is located 500 metres into the woods.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is in very poor condition.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
1840s (earliest found by ESJF expedition)
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Information on the cemetery’s establishment is not known, but the earliest found gravestones dates back to the 1840s. The cemetery was marked on an Austrian map from 1880. Presumably, the cemetery was operating until WWII.
The first records on the Jews in Dunayiv date back to 1629. In 1765, 50 Jews were living in Dunayiv. In 1880, 331 Jews resided in Dunayiv (18% of the total population). In 1900, the Jewish population numbered 338 (14% of the total population). During WWI, many Jewish houses, as well as the synagogue, were destroyed. By 1921, the Jewish population was reduced to 95 (4% of the total population). During the 1930s, a synagogue and a heder were operating. The entire Jewish population of Dunayiv was deported in September 1942.