Dunaivtsi New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located opposite to the house at 28, Shlyakhova Street.
GPS coordinates
48.87338, 26.83418
Perimeter length
744 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The front side is fenced by an old stone wall of one-metre height with metal gates.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is divided into the new and old parts. The new part is severely overgrown. The old part is well-maintained. Most of the preserved tombstones are located on the central part of the cemetery. The land is used for cattle grazing and private gardening. The part of the land was illegally captured by a local resident, Victor Havrylovych Pidhurs'kyy. The western part of the cemetery site is used for private gardening. The site requires clearing and fencing.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Presumably, there is an abandoned ohel with a built-in memorial plate on its wall. The ohel is dedicated to Rabbi David Leib (died in 1909). There are two memorials with nameplates dedicated to the Jewish cemetery of Dunaivtsi, constructed by Ohalei Tzadikim — Gader Avot union.
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. In 1871–72, the Jewish community purchased a land plot for the Jewish cemetery. The oldest gravestone relates to the mid-19th century, so it can be assumed that the cemetery emerged during that period. It appears on old maps from 1879. The cemetery is still operational.

Jews are known from the 17th century. In the 17th and 18th centuries, the Jews were engaged in trade, rent and crafts, such as weaving shoemaking, painting, etc. The Jewish community of Dunayivtsi was destroyed twice. First, in 1648-49, during the Khmelnytskyi massacre and, later, in the 1760s, during the Haidamak rebellions. In 1748, the Jews of Dunayivtsi suffered a blood libel accusation. In 1765, 1,129 Jews lived in Dunayivtsi. The Jewish community of Dunayivtsi consisted of 2,020 people and maintained two synagogues in 1847. In 1890, the number of synagogues increased to eleven. By the same time, a Jewish hospital, Talmud-Torah and heders were in function. A Jewish vocational school for girls (in 1903) and boys (in 1907) were opened. Two printing houses operated in 1906. The Jewish population reached a peak of 9,221 (70,7% of the total population) in 1910. In the 1920s, secret Zionist youth organizations and a Hehalutz group functioned. In 1926, the Jewish population reduced to 5,186 (60,5% of the total), presumably, due to the migration of over 200 Jewish families to an agricultural cooperative in Crimea. In 1933, 362 Jews were employed in the Jewish kolkhoz. In 1932–33, the Jewish population suffered from hunger. In 1939, 4,478 Jews (68,2% of the total population) were the residents of the town. During the Wehrmacht occupation in 1941, the Jews of Dunayivtsi and the neighbouring villages were imprisoned in a ghetto. Over 7,000 Jews were executed or buried alive in the area of ​​the Solonich forest. Approximately 12,000 Jews were murdered in the town during WWII. Few Jewish families returned after WWII. In 1948, a secret minyan was gathering. In the 1970s and 80s, Jews of Dunayivtsi left for Israel and the US.

3D model