Doge Jewish Cemetery Two
There was one Jewish cemetery in Döge, which was in use as early as 1870 until at least 1901, according to the cadastral maps. Later a road divided the territory into two parts, one of which appears to have been destroyed.
The first Jews were recorded in Döge in the 1770 census. Four Jews lived there, including Jakab Herskovics – a stillman. There were 39 Jews in 1836, 42 in 1842-3, and 97 Jews in 1848 across 23 households. The number of Jews continued to increase (as reflected in the next census) and then steadily began to decrease. There were 117 Jews in 1870, 90 in 1880, 51 in 1910, 23 in 1920, and 17 in 1930.
The Jews also had a synagogue and a cemetery, the latter of which, according to an 1848 document, covered 2 acres of land. By 1949, there were no more Jews living in Döge. According to eyewitness testimonies, the cemetery was regularly visited by descendants until the 1950’s, at which time it contained a couple dozen gravestones. Today the gravestones are spread out, and some buildings in the village contain stones with Hebrew inscriptions.