Dobromil Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Staryi Sambir
Site address
To reach the cemetery, move 100 metres north from the crossroads of L. Ukrainky and M. Lysenka. The cemetery will be on the right.
GPS coordinates
49.63236, 23.69854
Perimeter length
654 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
There are some private houses located on the cemetery site.
Number of existing gravestones
Around 50. In 2016, some gravestones were found near the house 7, Miskevich Street. They were used to build a memorial wall on the cemetery site.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

Information on the cemetery’s establishment is unknown, but it was marked on a map from the 1850s and 1939. Presumably, the cemetery was operating in the early 20th century. It can be supposed that it was demolished during or after WWII.

The Jews were first mentioned in 1570. A Jewish community, which emerged in the 16th century, was subordinated to the Peremyshlyany kehila. Agricultural trade was one of the main areas the Jews were engaged in. In 1612, the Jewish community received permission to build a synagogue. In the 1720s, Yithok Segal and his son Meir served as rabbis in Dobromil. In 1765, 1,253 Jews lived in Dobromil. In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, Jewish children attended German-Jewish vocational school. In the 19th century, five synagogues were operating, two of which were Hasidic. In 1860 under Austrian administration, the Jewish population declined to 850 (53% of the total population) due to taxes and lower incomes. By 1870, it had increased to 1,884 (62% of the total population) and had grown to 2,035 (63% of the total population) by 1890, when industry had developed in the town. The Jewish population reached 2,271 (63% of the total population) by 1910. Zionist organisations became active in 1908, and the association”Theodor Herzl” was established. In 1921, the Jewish population dropped to 2,119 (62% of the total population). Wehrmacht units occupied Dobromil on June 28, 1941. Around 200 Jews were burned in the synagogue, and the remaining population was murdered on July 29, 1942. From October 1941 until July 29, 1942, a ghetto was functioning. 3,000 Jews were deported to the extermination camp Belzec. After the end of the Nazis’ occupation, 25 Jews returned.

3D model