Daugai Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is located on the peninsula to the northeast of Ezero g. Street.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery. There is some seasonal vegetation growth on the cemetery site.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Given the oldest preserved tombstone dates to 1809, it can be inferred the cemetery was founded no later than the early 19th century.
The first Jews likely arrived in Daugai (Pl. Daugi, Yid. דויג) in the late 16th century. A congregation was established in the late 18th century. In 1897, the Jewish community numbered 511, or 40% of the total population. There was a large Jewish emigration both before WWI and in the interwar period and Zionist organisations were active. In 1936, there were 396 Jews in Daugai, or 33% of the total population. After the German invasion in 1941, most of the Jews were murdered, there were only a few survivors. In 1970, 2 Jews still lived in Daugai. Later censuses registered no Jewish population.