Dabrowa Gornicza Jewish Cemetery
The local Jewish cemetery was established in 1929. Until then, the Jewish population had buried their dead in the cemetery in Będzin. The cemetery was established about one kilometer southwest of the town center on the site of a former brickyard. It was shaped like an elongated rectangle with an area of 0.5 hectare and surrounded by a wall. During World War II, the cemetery was partially devastated. Further devastation took place after the war.
The area was neglected and tombstones were gradually stolen. In the 1970s-1980s, new housing estates were built around the cemetery. At that time, the layout of the plots and the topography of the land were changed, and the cemetery’s area was included for park construction plans. In 1993, a monument was erected on the edge of the cemetery and a dozen matzevot (sacred pillar or tombstone) were placed on the ground behind the monument to constitute a makeshift lapidarium. Currently, the former cemetery area is the southern edge of the park and is partially enclosed with a metal fence. It is covered with trees, shrubs, and grass. There are several dozen tombstones and parts of matzevot from the years 1920–1940 scattered around the monument. There are also traditional sandstone stelae and non-traditional forms (e.g. broken trees), as well as concrete tombs, remaining.
The first historical mentions of Dąbrowa appear in written sources dating to the 1720s. At the end of the 18th century, the village turned into an industrial settlement due to the establishment of a hard coal mine. In 1916, the settlement was granted town rights and was named Dąbrowa Górnicza. During the early history of the village, single Jewish families lived in Dąbrowa Górnicza but had to deal with the lease. Until 1828, some restrictions made it difficult for Jews to settle in town and participate in the local economy. After the Publication of 1862, which gave Jews equal rights, there was a significant influx of the Jewish population.
In the 1870s, over 800 Jews lived there. They were under the Jewish community in nearby Olkusz, and later the one in Będzin. In 1910, the authorities allowed for the establishment of an independent Synagogue Supervision in Dąbrowa Górnicza. More than 2,300 Jews lived in town during this period. In 1916, the construction of a brick synagogue was completed. In 1921, among 39,852 inhabitants of the town, there were 4,304 Jews (11% of the total population). In 1931, there were 5,150 Jews (14% of the total population) among 36,786 inhabitants. In 1942, the Germans deported the local Jews to the concentration camp at Auschwitz-Birkenau.