Chudniv Jewish Cemetery
The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It was established no later than the late 19th century, as the earliest preserved tombstone dates to 1885. It is marked on maps from the 1900s.
Jews first began to settle in Chudniv (Ukr. Чуднів, Rus. Чуднов, Yid. טשידנעוו) in the late 16th century. The Jewish community was destroyed during the Chmielnicki uprising of 1648–49. In 1756, Jews seeking refuge from a peasant revolt were attacked in Chudniv by the townspeople. In 1765, the total number of Jews in Chudniv and smaller dependent communities was 1,283. In the 19th century, the Jewish population grew from 2,623 in 1847 to 4,491 (80% of the town). The community maintained a synagogue and 5 prayer houses.
By 1910, the town had two private Jewish schools for girls, one for boys, and a talmud-torah. A Yiddish-language elementary school was opened by the Soviet authorities in the 1920s. There were 2,506 Jewish residents (46%) in Chudniv in 1939.
When the Germans arrived in July 1941, around 75% of the Jews remained in Chudniv. They were confined in a ghetto and subjected to forced labour. The majority of the Jews were killed in the autumn of 1941. According to the 2001 census, there were 10 Jews living in Chudniv and the neighbouring area.
The exact date of the establishment of the cemetery is unknown, however the oldest tombstone dates back to 1885.