Chopovychi Jewish Cemetery
The cemetery is located 2.7km north east of No.58 Nina Sosnyana street in Melini village. The cemetery is along the road between Meleni village & Chopovichi on the right hand side.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is not fenced, but the moat is clearly visible
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
A small area of the cemetery is located in a wood. The cemetery is covered with seasonal vegetation. There is one mass grave.
Number of existing gravestones
About 40. Some tombstones are fenced.
Date of oldest tombstone
1916 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
1989 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Preserved construction on site
The exact period of the cemtery establishment is unknown. It emerged no later than the early 20th century, as the earliest tombstone dates to 1916.
Chopovychi (Ukr. Чоповичі, Rus. Чоповичи, Yid. טשעפּאָוויטש) had a Jewish population of 919 in 1897 and 1,533 in 1926, which was 16% of the total population. As of 1885, the Jewish community maintained a prayer house. It is known that 165 local Jews were murdered by the Nazis on the road to Korosten’ in August 1941.
The cemetery was likely founded around 1900. The earliest tombstone dates from 1916.