Chernyakhiv Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located north of No.12 and 13, Romana Shukhevycha alley.
GPS coordinates
50.45705, 28.6761
Perimeter length
280 metres. The current perimeter is drawn up only on the eastern part of the cemetery. The western part is a field right now.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is a 1.5m high concrete fence with a bolted metal gate.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is well looked after. Two Memorials honored the Chernyakhiv victims of Shoah. “Restored and refined in 2012”.
Number of existing gravestones
There are around 200 gravestones.
Date of oldest tombstone
1903 (the earliest tombstone found by ESJF).
Date of newest tombstone
2019 (the latest tombstone found by ESJF).
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. It was established no later than the early 20th century, as the earliest preserved tombstone dates to 1903. It is marked on maps from the 1900s. The cemetery was restored and refined in 1994 and 2012. According to KSEN,  the monuments of the western part of the cemetery were demolished during the war, the rest were later moved to the eastern part, which is fenced now.

Jews in Chernyakhiv (Ukr. Черняхів, Rus. Черняхов, Yid. טשערניכעוו) were first mentioned in 1629. During the Chmielnicki uprising of 1648–48, the Jewish community was annihilated and there is no mention of Jews returning until 1721. In the 19th century, the Jewish population grew from 1,267 in 1847 to 1,774 (46% of the town) in 1897. The community maintained a synagogue and 2 prayer houses. During the Civil War of 1918–21, there were several pogroms in Chernyakhiv. In 1939, the Jewish population of Chernyakhiv stood at 1,482 (21%).

When the Germans arrived in July 1941, around half of the Jewish residents remained in Chernyakhiv. The majority of them were killed in the summer and autumn of 1941. According to the 2001 census, there were 14 Jews living in Chernyakhiv and the surrounding area.

The exact date of the establishment of the cemetery is unknown, however it is marked on maps from around 1900 and the earliest tombstone dates back to 1903. According to the 1994–95 survey by the Jewish Preservation Committee (KSEN), the western part of the cemetery was demolished during WWII, some of the tombstones were later moved to the eastern part, which is now fenced. Restoration works were carried out in 1994 and 2012.

3D model