Byshiv Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
Starting on Brusylivs’ka Street, head towards the city centre. The former cemetery site can be found 300 metres southeast of the river.
GPS coordinates
50.267772, 29.881970
Perimeter length
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery site is overbuilt with private houses.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

There is almost no information on the Byshiv Jewish cemetery. The only legible preserved matzeva found in the Kolkhoz dates to 1914, but it is unknown whether this is a remnant of the older cemetery or the newer one. It has been posited that the old cemetery in Byshiv already existed in the 19th century, but it cannot be found marked on a mid 19th century Russian map of the region.

It is known that Jews settled in Byshiv from 1721. In 1765 Byshiv community numbered 142 people. In 1768, the Jews of Byshiv were victims of the Haidamak pogroms. Jewish population numbers peaked in 1864 at 780, and dropped to 597 by 1897 (16,9%) . At the end of 19th centuries there were two synagogues and a Talmud-torah in Byshiv. During the Civil War in 1919-1920 there were several pogroms in Byshiv. Many Jews fled Byshev at that period. In 1926 only 32 Jews remain in the town. At September 1941 most of the Byshiv Jews were shot by Ukrainian police. In 1950-1970s there were some dozens of Jews living in Byshiv.