Brusyliv New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located to the right of the signpost for the village of Brusilov, on the road from the village of Khomutets to the village of Brusilov.
GPS coordinates
50.27645, 29.55631
Perimeter length
It was not possible to draw the perimeter, the boundaries of the cemetery are not visible.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is no fence, the moat is not visible either.
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is covered with dense seasonal vegetation. It is partially overgrown. The cemetery was destroyed by a nearby quarry in the 1960s. Pine trees are growing here. There are no gravestones left.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

According to the Commission on the Preservation of Jewish Heritage, the cemetery was founded in the 2nd half of the 19th century, the last funeral was in 1941. It is marked on a Russian map from 1930.

Brusyliv (Ukr. Брусилів, Rus. Брусилов, Yid. ברוסילעוו) had a Jewish presence as early as 1622. The Jewish population grew from 412 in 1775, to 2,884 in 1847, and had reached 3,575 Jewish residents (53% of the town) by 1897. The town had a synagogue and 2 Jewish prayer houses as of 1885. During the Civil War of 1918–21, the community suffered heavily due to pogroms. In 1939, the Jewish population of Brusyliv was 171. The majority of Brusyliv’s Jews were murdered soon after the arrival of the Germans in 1941.
According to the 1994–95 survey of the Jewish Preservation Committee (KSEN), the cemetery was founded in the second half of the 19th century. The cemetery was demolished in the 1960s and the land was used for a sand quarry.

3D model