Bratske Jewish Cemetery
184-A Myru Street.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
Not far from the cemetery site, under a tree, the ESJF expedition found one gravestone base without inscription from the cemetery. Residents of the village were not sure where the other gravestones were, but their general narrative is that they were taken to the mass execution site of Jews during WWII. Houses, agricultural buildings, two garages and toilets are located on the territory today.
Number of existing gravestones
There is one tombstone base found near cemetery site, between the houses on 196 and 198 Myru Street, which was presumably removed from its place when the cemetery was demolished.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Preserved construction on site
The date of the cemetery’s founding is unknown, but presumably dates to the 19th century. The cemetery is marked on a map from 1941, although not as a specifically Jewish cemetery. According to local residents, the site was overbuilt in the early 1970s and some gravestones were moved to the mass grave site.
There is no information on Jewish community of Brats’ke until late 19th cent. In 1889, a synagogue operated. The Jewish population was 241 in 1897 and its amount gradually increased till 457 people in 1923. Before WWII, 203 Jews resided in Brats’ke. 82 Jews were murdered in September 1941 after the Nazis occupation.