Bozhedarovka (Privolye Most Probably Jewish Agricaultural Colony Fraileben) Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Privolye (old name is Mistechkщ Fryman)
Site address
After leaving the village of Privolye head south towards the village of Zarya. After 70m turn left and then continue down a dirt road for 180m, then turn right and park after another 55m. On foot turn left and then proceed for 75m, turn right and then after another 90m you will find the cemetery on the right.
GPS coordinates
48.35057, 34.06827
Perimeter length
152 мetres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
The cemetery is not fenced.
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The site of the cemetery has been ploughed. It is now a field for farming. According to the recollections of resident, Ivan (born in 1948), only Jews lived in the village of Privolye (the old name of the village of Freiman) until 1941. There was a cemetery, although now there is nothing left. Around 1990-1995 the cemetery was finally demolished, the tombstones have been removed to an unknown location. Older local residents remember the tombstones and the burial mounds. Another local, Efimovich (born in 1938), also confirmed that there was once a Jewish cemetery here.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

According to locals, the cemetery was in use by the Jewish villagers until 1941. The cemetery was totally demolished in the 1990’s. The tombstones have disappeared.

There is not much information available about the Jewish community of Privillya. It was established as a Jewish agricultural colony under the name Frayleben, and its residents were involved in agriculture and crafting.

Privillya was occupied in August 1941. In 1942 those Jews, who had failed to evacuate, were executed.

In 1946, Frayleben was renamed Privillya, however according to other sources, the Jewish agricultural colony Frayleben was incorporated into the village of Privillya.

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. According to the locals, there was a cemetery, which operated until 1941. The cemetery was demolished between 1990-1995. Nowadays the cemetery site is used for farming.