Bilyy Kamin New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Bilyy Kamin' New
Site address
To reach the cemetery, proceed for about 690 metres in the northern direction from the Church of the Holy Trinity. The cemetery is located on the right of the road, opposite the Christian cemetery.
GPS coordinates
49.90415, 24.83720
Perimeter length
316 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The cemetery site is used as agriculture land.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The exact period of the cemetery’s establishment is unknown. Since it appears on Austro-Hungarian maps of the 1860s, it can be assumed that the cemetery emerged not later than mid-19th century. According to locals, the cemetery was demolished soon after WWII, by a new kolkhoz authorities, and the territory used as a field.

The Jews are known from 1629. In the late 17th century, the Jewish community became independent. 345 Jews lived in Bilyy Kamin’ in 1765. In 1892–1902, a school for about 100 Jewish students founded with the support from Baron Hirsch. The Jewish population increased to 1,901 (54% of the total population) in 1880 and severely dropped to 298 (15% of the total population) in 1921 after the waves of immigration, a 1902 fire and miseries of WWI. In 1919, a Zionist youth organization was established but soon stopped its activities. In 1927, a Hebrew school was opened. In 1929, a Zionist organization Ha-Tkhiia and a library were founded. In early 1942, 291 Jews resided here. In November 1942, the local Jews were deported to the Zolochev ghetto, where they were murdered in 1943. The monument was installed on the site of the shooting in 2005.

3D model