Bilgoraj New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Lublin Voivodeship
Site address
Adjacent to 23, Konopnickiej Street and 21, Konopnickiej Street.
GPS coordinates
50.52747, 22.72263
Perimeter length
591 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Only a part of the cemetery is fenced with a metal fence about 2 metres high with brick fence posts. The majority of the cemetery territory remains unfenced.
Preservation condition
Unfenced Jewish cemetery
General site condition
A part of the cemetery is fenced and there are tombstones on it. The unfenced part is demolished (there's no tombstones on it) and full of rubbish. There are the remains of graffiti on the lapidarium.
Number of existing gravestones
24 tombstones have been preserved in their probable grave sites. Some of them are badly damaged and barely visible above the ground. In addition, the cemetery has around 850 fragments scattered around the site and and 15 fragments installed in the lapidarium.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The third Jewish cemetery in Biłgoraj was established around 1800 and is located 1.5 km south of the market square, outside the city limits, among fields. It was gradually expanded, and, in the interwar period, covered a plot of land shaped like an irregular polygon with an area of approximately 2.44 hectares (ha). It was fenced with a stone wall and overgrown with trees. There was moreover an ohel in the cemetery. During World War II, the cemetery was destroyed. Most of the tombstones were removed and taken away, trees were cut down, and the fence was pulled down. The Germans carried out mass executions in the cemetery and buried the bodies in mass graves. In 1948, a group of Jews came to Biłgoraj and exhumed the bodies of victims from around the town and the surrounding area and buried them in mass graves in the cemetery. None of the mass graves were marked and have not been located. Authorities later divided a large part of the cemetery into separate plots and the remaining tombstones were removed. Among other things, a factory producing construction material was built on the land. In 1985–1986, part of the cemetery with an area of 0.26 ha was fenced, a monument dedicated to Holocaust victims and a wall-lapidarium with tombstones were erected, and about a dozen found matzevot were placed in the ground. In 2015, another Holocaust memorial was erected, called the “Wall of Remembrance.” Matzevot found in the city and the surrounding area are still brought and stored in the fenced area. There are currently over 200 matzevot and parts of tombstones in the cemetery, which are mostly made of limestone and white sandstone, and the oldest of which dates to 1826.