Biharnagybajom Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Site address
The cemetery is located at the end of Bacsó Béla Street.
GPS coordinates
47.21736, 21.24653
Perimeter length
159 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
There is a heavily damaged concrete fence, about 2m high.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The Jewish cemetery is outside the settlement. It was fenced, but fence is damaged. The site is neglected and only one intact gravestone remains.
Number of existing gravestones
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The Jewish cemetery of Biharnagybajom was established as early as 1877, since the only tombstone found in the cemetery dates to that year. No additional tombstones which could supply further information about the cemetery’s period of operation have been found. The cemetery’s territory has been fenced.

Biharnagybajom is a large village in Hajdú-Bihar County. The Jewish community was founded in 1826. Prior to this, it belonged to the Chief Rabbinate of Oradea. The Jewish population began to grow rapidly and, by 1848, the community had 60 families and elected its first rabbi, Jakab Gottlieb, who previously worked in Huszt. After his death in 1860, Jicchok Eisig became the rabbi, who led the religious life for 20 years. Afterwards, Samuel Jungreisz and then Manó Szófer led the rabbinate. Between 1910 and 1926, the community did not have a rabbi, though the community’s institutions continued to grow during this time, especially the yeshiva (founded in 1848) and the Talmud Torah (1916). The community was however forced to close the elementary school under pressure. Religious life was strictly Orthodox in Biharnagybajom. The villages of Báránd, Sáp, Bihartorda, Nagyrabé, Bothanszeg, and Pancsháza belonged to its registry area. According to the database of the 1929 Jewish Lexicon, 149 people lived in 29 families, including 32 of whom were taxpayers. Its members included 1 farmer, 18 traders, 5 craftsmen, and others in different occupations. The annual budget of the community was 6,000 Pengő. In World War I, 5 members of the community who served in the war were killed in action. In 1944, there were 98 Jews living in the village, including 20 taxpayers. A synagogue, the rabbi’s apartment, a mikveh (ritual bath), and the shochet’s (butcher) apartment formed the property of the community. In 1880, 6% of the total population was Jewish (208 out of 3430), while in 1941 only 2% was Jewish (98 out of 4725).