Biezun Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Masovian Voivodeship
Site address
The cemetery is situated along the eastern side of Leśna street. 13, Leśna Street, adjoins the cemetery area from the north-west.
GPS coordinates
52.9545848, 19.8984289
Perimeter length
363 metres.
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fenced.
Preservation condition
Demolished Jewish cemetery that has not been built over
General site condition
The Jewish cemetery of Bieżuń is situated in the south-eastern outskirts of the town. The adjacent lands are agricultural and residential. The cemetery area is a meadow, covered with wild grass and single trees and bushes. No traces of the cemetery have been preserved and there are no tombstones. There is a roadside sign designating the area as a Jewish cemetery.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones have preserved in situ. There are Matzevot fragments in the local museum which appeared to be permanently closed when our field team attempted to visit.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The Bieżuń Jewish cemetery was established either at the end of the 18th or the beginning of the 19th century, southeast of the market square. The last burial took place in 1940. During the war, the cemetery was devastated and the matzevot were used to pave the streets. Currently, the area of approximately 0.7 hectares is undeveloped. It is overgrown with trees and lush vegetation, and the layout of the cemetery is unclear.

In 2004, under the agreement with the town of Bieżuń, fencing and cleaning of the area was planned, though the work has not been completed. In 2014, at the initiative of Herman Storick and the team of, a plaque with the following inscription was erected: “Jewish Cemetery. Please respect the burial place of the inhabitants of your town.” Fragments of tombstones recovered from the town (several dozen pieces) are stored in the Museum of the Small Town in Bieżuń.

Bieżuń was founded under the Chełmno law in 1406. The development of the town was halted by the fires and wars in the 17th century. The Jewish settlement in the town dates to the beginning of the 18th century. The first wooden synagogue was built after 1760.

In 1808, 389 Jews lived in Bieżuń. In 1857, the Jewish population increased to 697 people, which was caused by an influx of Jews expelled from Mława. In 1841, Izaak Cylkow, a famous rabbi and translator of the Torah from Hebrew into Polish, was born in the town. In 1921, 779 Jews lived there. During World War II, they were deported in several rounds to Mława, Szreńsk, and Strzegowo, and then to Auschwtiz and Treblinka.

Bieżuń Jewish Cemetery
Bieżuń Jewish Cemetery
Bieżuń Jewish Cemetery
Bieżuń Jewish Cemetery
Bieżuń Jewish Cemetery
Bieżuń Jewish Cemetery