Bialystok Choleric Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Podlaskie Voivodeship
Site address
29, Krótka Street.
GPS coordinates
53.125682, 23.146253
Perimeter length
521 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
No fence
Preservation condition
Demolished and overbuilt Jewish cemetery
General site condition
It is a demolished Jewish cemetery. Currently, there is a ZUS building and a small park with a memorial plaque dedicated to the former Jewish cemetery, there is also a star of David shaped floral monument.
Number of existing gravestones
No tombstones preserved
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Fence is not needed
Land ownership
Property of local community
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

In 1831 there a cholera outbreak in Bialystok and, because of its high mortality rate, there was a need to establish a Jewish cemetery for victims of the epidemic. The cemetery was located beyond the city limits, approximately 1 km southwest of the town square. After the epidemic declined, the cemetery was expanded and continued to be in use until 1892, at which point the next Jewish cemetery was founded in Bialystok. The cemetery was shaped as an irregular polygon with an acreage of approximately 1.7 hectares. During World War II it was largely destroyed. In 1964, the local government announced its closure. The area was subsequently turned into a marketplace and buildings were erected in some parts of the land. In 2008, a part of the cemetery was renovated and a square with a memorial was built.