Biala Podlaska New Jewish Cemetery

Cemetery Information

Lublin Voivodeship
Biała Podlaska
Biała Podlaska
Site address
32 Nowa street.
GPS coordinates
52.03945, 23.11997
Perimeter length
858,64 metres
Is the cemetery demolished
Type and height of existing fence
Yes. The cemetery has a partial metal fence, however there are no gates and parts of the fence are missing, so it is unprotected.
Preservation condition
Fenced and protected Jewish cemetery
General site condition
The cemetery is partially fenced but there is no gate so it is not secured. It shares a wall with the local Catholic cemetery. There is a hole in the fence from the side of Rzeźniana Street. There is no access from Nowa Street and Dolna Street. There is rubbish on the cemetery territory. There is graffiti located on the fence on Nowa Street and on the back wall of the plinth of the monument to the victims of Holocaust. There is a mass grave of the Holocaust victims at the cemetery. A monument commemorating the victims was erected on it.
Number of existing gravestones
there are three tombstones.
Date of oldest tombstone
Date of newest tombstone
Urgency of erecting a fence
Land ownership
Preserved construction on site
Drone surveys

Historical overview

The new Jewish cemetery in Biała Podlaska was established at the beginning of the 19th century (according to one report it was established in 1803) and is located approximately 450 metres north of the market square, which, at that time, was outside the city limits. To the west, the cemetery borders the Christian cemetery. Further information on its history and appearance are not known in detail. In addition to traditional steles, several ohels were erected over the graves of local rabbis and other notable figures. The cemetery was destroyed during World War II. The Germans used the tombstones to reinforce the streets. They then carried out executions in the cemetery. After the war, in 1946, Holocaust survivors exhumed the bodies of victims from various places in and around Biała Podlaska and reburied them in the new cemetery in a mass grave referred to as the “brotherly grave,” which was then covered with a concrete cover, and a monument was erected on top of it dedicated to the victims of the Holocaust. The monument was destroyed in the same year. A year later, in 1947, a second monument—which still exists today—was erected in the same place as the previous monument. In 1988, a part of the cemetery was used to expand Nowa Street. In the same year, city authorities fenced the cemetery with a metal fence on the underpinning. The cemetery is almost completely preserved. The plot of land is shaped as an irregular, elongated polygon with an area of 2.7 hectares, and contains an empty square covered with grass and a few trees. In recent years, three rediscovered matzevot were placed next to the Holocaust memorial monument.